Sunday, October 4, 2009

Ya llegamos

We are here!! In the past 20 hours we have landed after taking the lowest most banked turn in airplane history. IT WAS BEAUTIFUL to almost touch the trees. And I thought Tegucigalpa was supposed to be the worst. Lies!

So after customs and baggage claim we walk out and lo and behold we have someone holding a sign with my name...humbling. I reach out and introduce myself to Mario who is a bodyguard of Montse who had picked us up in her VW SUV. A little bit of an abrupt reality hit as I remember the resources available to the people who are in charge of CEPUDO. Regardless she is full of life and shared her role of the organization with vigor and animation, while driving.

After arriving to our litte house with a small refri stocked with American goods (we are hoping for arroz y friojles con tortillas) we throw our stuff down and introduce ourselves to the grounds keeper and one of four employees. His name is Carlos, he has a wife Nora and they both used to work in the factory in town. He is happier in his new role and pleased with how Dona Linda treats him compared to his older bosses. That makes me happy. We meandered amongst the sheep and fish hatcheries and learn how the tilapia project progresses from little larva and given or sold to other places where they are raised and eaten or sold. The big fish here are given to the orphans project of CEPUDO. I LIKE WHAT I HEAR!

Sunday is the day off and Jess and I have used it to catch up after our 2 hours of sleep the night before and explore Pimienta. You can find it on google maps. Follow the main road south and we live just beyond the dirty river before the zoom cuts out.

We are currently recruiting for Thanksgiving...All are welcome!

We are excited at the newness and although I miss being a Pasionista and all the community benefits that came with it. I´m exciting for the new challenge that will be the next few weeks.

All my best,

Matt

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm ... tilapia. I found the dirty river! Hope you guys are great!
    Love,
    Joe

    ReplyDelete