Monday, October 26, 2009

´100% Talangueno´

I´m not going to say my mouth hurt because I was smiling the entire time, nor am I going to define my time by the fact I was offered coffee, banano, and coca cola at the first three houses we visited, however, it was the jubilant steps I took as we walked from house to house and heartfelt gratitude I felt as I feel asleep in Talanga the past two nights to define my trip back to my second home.

And the words I used above still fail to come remotely close to how wonderful it was to see all the people that made our year as Passionists so great. I used the 25 of the 33 hours I had to spend, with the people of Talanga. We drank cinnamon tea with Chico, and Isabel, had lunch with my new hermanita Jean at Efemia´s, watched futbolito, ate baleadas, visited Esperanza, walked the streets where the students from Duarte lived, hiked to the cross, ate in the market donde Reina, bought fruit from Chevalita, listen to Angelita tell us how much Angel missed Tyler, laughed with Luis, listened to the problems of Honduras from Prof Daniel, shared memories with Prof Olma, played vball in the park, was warmly introduced at mass by Padre Daniel, surprised Padre Miguel at the end of the 7am mass, IF ONLY I COULD HAVE DANCED WITH DONA AMELIA!

And as I fail to adequately articulate my experiences over these past two days, it was the two extremes of feeling disgusted at the gaudiness of our first stop at the house of the Mayor´s (our rides had business to do) to the final night at Chico´s drinking cinnamon tea that really allowed me to appreciate our experience with the community. I love the people of Talanga, and know that the welcome I received was something I will never forget and something I feel is beyond the capability of something I could ever offer someone. I remember returning home to Fairport and that was quite an emotional experience as well. Although different, and I struggle to articulate how, both experiences included the people I need to be sharing my life. I look forward to hearing the experiences of Amy, Alice and Tyler as they, God willing, return to our little town of mud.

And about half of the people we shared time with were curious as to whether or not their would be a wedding celebration in the United States as well as in Honduras...

Failing to get to Rio Dulce, Terrero, Corralitos, Camalotal, the Casa Pasionista and seeing other people in the community demands a return sometime in November or December. Something tells me the wonderful feelings that accompanied this trip will guarantee that return.

The final thought is from the 2008 Expoventa (big community cookoff) where they sold shirts with a little short pudgy man with a sombrero and a machete and mustache with the letters 100% Talangeno. I need to get my hands on one!

1 comment:

  1. Thinking of you, Loves! I'm so glad to hear of how well everything is going. Bestes is going to El Salvador to remember the martyrs, he's leaving today for a little over a week. I'm home this weekend to write, have a mini vay-cay and celebrate my Brian at a Veteran's Day assembly on Tuesday morning. It's nice to be on the rainy side of things. Rain is good for poets. I saw David Gray and LIsa Hannigan in concert last night, it was incredible, you would have loved it. I've decided real women don't tap their toes, they stomp their heels, so remember that. Or they dance upon injustice, I'm not quite sure.
    Stay well, please, and give all my love to Matt. I think of you and pray for you, Dearheart, all the time. Ok, I'm going to go back to being a poet now.
    love s

    ReplyDelete