Friday, October 23, 2009

What a wonderful world this can be

http://www.catholiccourier.com/tmp1.cfm?nid=76&articleid=109837&cfid=5349560&cftoken=45833169

So first I will start off with what is most pressing to the people of Honduras... and the link above has nothing to do with it. THEY ARE GOING TO THE WORLD CUP!! And boy oh boy did the US go from zero to hero. After blowing a PK in the 86th minute and falling to the US 3 to 2 Honduras rallied the following WEdnesday with a sweet header (same guy who missed the pk Pavon) and was then sent packing for South Africa with a goal in the 90th minute by the US which tied Costa Rica and allowed Honduras to pass Costa Rica. QUE MACIZO!

We are doing well and although we were cheering for Honduras on Saturday we were thrilled that things played out the way they did and both the US and HOnduras will be heading to Africa in 2010 to represent North America, Central American and the Carribean.

But prior to 2010 a big political event at the end of November will hopefully take place which will allow Honduras to have a new leader. After having many discussions it is still not obvious to me the current situation and although I feel completely safe and in good hands the reality is anything could happen at anytime. Like at 500 in the morning a huge electricity tower could be unbolted and collapse! Of course people are blaming it on Mel´s backers but who really knows. The people we are surrounded by in the community are just looking for work and a way to maintain their lives.

Speaking of our lives in addition to the culebras (snakes) we had a very nice gift of a 5 inch tarantula one morning. I think it was a gift from the dog, because it was stunned enough that we could easily kill it, but nonetheless those and the cockroaches are still present. We will try to get pictures of our home and the training center uploaded as soon as possible but without transportation we are limited.

We had a new and exciting week spending the majority of the time with Linda and Carlos and the operations of CEPUDO in San Pedro Sula. After having been given a brief tour my Montse (the director of the Adopt a Grandparent Program) earlier in our stay we got the full experience of the warehouse (which has since been relocated from when I was in Talanga). We helped package the necessities of clothes, towels, sanitary products shoes, and food(the staples being rice, beans, and peeps of course) to go with different community organizations. We were able to even deliver a few of the bags to workers who clean the streets of the city but are waiting for backpay of up to 3 months!! How they get by I have no idea, I´m guessing the generosity of friends, neighbors and organizations like CEPUDO.

The ladies at the bodega are a hoot and the leader Ruth, I refer to as my grandmother. She is a strong leader and has a great sense of humor. The other ladies have great personalities and really enjoy being at work. We have experienced the cooking of the women and development projects, buying both bread and lunch while we were there. They laugh and have the ability to get stuff done in a healthy balance.

Wednesday we were able to meet up with Linda (the president of CEPUDO) and hear about the organization. Jess lit up like a christmas tree when finding out the opportunities to be in both hospitals and a local clinic whenever she wanted. I on the other hand have a few decisions to make. I have been given a plot of land to use at my leisure should I choose to start a project there, I have volunteered to work on their website and will most likely continue to learn how to infiltrate my knowledge and desires to make systems more efficient (especially the warehouse).

We are off to Talanga today and I am beyond jubilant as I am looking forward to seeing all of the people that we volunteers called family for a year. I have already spoken with Tio Puri (the director of the AIDS hospice) and (Prof) Daniel our neighbor and advisor. But no man gives me greater joy then speaking to our neighbor Chico! How blessed am I to return so soon and reunite with those I think of daily.

Jess and I are doing swell. It is a very unique experience and thrilled to be sharing it with her. We are doing a fair job expressing all the joys and pains of our experience (including each other) but almost always find a way to go to bed smiling. For that I am grateful.

Know you are constantly in my prayers.

All my blessings and love,

Matt

2 comments:

  1. Matt,
    So happy to read about your joys, surprises, uncertainties as well as recent experiences! I can imagine how special it was to reconnect with your "beloved folks" in Talanga! If you connect again please give those Dad and I met "warm hellos". :-) Give our love to Jessie...keep lots for yourself and good night! Love, peace and prayers, Mom :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't live without peeps! One of the five food groups :) Can't believe you were rooting against Los Estados ... check your passport! What's up with you & hurricanes & Honduras, anyway? Then may not let you come back ...

    ReplyDelete